Welcome to Coach Sam’s Virtual Playbook where ideas become our most trusted and valued friends.
Our ideas are unique to each of us, the DNA of our heart and mind. They are with us every day, keeping us company, inspiring us to move past our fears, inspiring us to Dream Big and then Dream Bigger, to have faith in who we are. As you explore the lessons in the Coach Sam’s What Do You With An Idea series, let the magic of your ideas, your dreams, take flight because your ideas will change the world.
Oh boy is it ever so simmering outside! The sun is shining, we like that, but it is h-o-t! We could probably fry an egg right on the sidewalk (don’t do it, the birds might get mad).
In this virtual playbook, you’ll discover how to build cool things with popsicle sticks. Most people just throw their sticks away once their tasty treat is gone. Imagine the endless possibilities of building!
You’ll also learn about a boy’s obsession with being an inventor. He eventually invents the yummy coolness otherwise known as popsicles. Explore recipes that are sure to keep you hydrated even on the hottest of days. Afterwards, discover the many ways that popsicles can be used to build. Yes, this summer, you can get your engineering on!
This Summer Snack lesson consists of:
- Building a Popsicle Bridge and Testing its Strength
- “The Boy Who Invented the Popsicle” Read Aloud
- Two worksheets:
- Kinetic Sticks Cobra Weave Activity
- The Life Cycle of a Butterfly Activity Pack
- Popsicle Stick Challenge
- Popsicle Stick Websites
YouTube Video: Building a Popsicle Bridge!
Read Aloud: The Boy Who Invented the Popsicle by Anne Renaud and Milan Pavlovic
Really want to have fun with popsicle sticks? Try the Cobra Weave! The Popsicle Worksheets “sticks” the truth about popsicles right out there. Become a popsicle expert after reading the passage.
Popsicle Stick Challenge: It’s Time to Build!
There are so many useful ways to build with popsicle sticks. Here are a few:
Want to see other crafts? Check out these websites!
Coach Sam’s Riddle:
What has lots of eyes, but can’t see?
Last Week’s Answer: Nothing! It just waved!
- What to do when you want a cool treat on a hot summer day?
- How to Make a Cherry Pie
- Conjure up a Creative Snack!
- How to be a Good Egg
- What to do When You Want to Promote Social Justice?
- Who is Joan Procter?
- Exploring the Scientific Method
- Cultural Exploration
- What to do when You Want to Find the Author’s Point of View
- What to do with/without?
- The Rainbow Fish Read Along
- What to Do When You Can’t Visit the Art Museum
- Online Book Scavenger Hunt
- Healthy Minds & Healthy Bodies
- What Do You Do with an Idea?
- Find Your Something Beautiful